Morning by morning, new mercies I see.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Scotland 2011 - Day 7: Arran to Islay via Kinnecraig


Island Hopping
Our last view of Arran
Daisy on the ferry



We left Arran early in the morning, driving to Lochranza to catch the wee ferry to Claonaig. From there we drove to Kinnecraig and caught the bigger ferry to Port Askaig on the Isle of Islay.
It was the roughest sea crossing I have ever done. The wind was up and we were rocking back and forth quite violently. Josh and I were green the whole time. Isla didn't seem to mind and Max fell asleep due to an early start. I was very glad the kids weren't feeling unwell as I was feeling much too sorry for myself to worry about anyone else!

Our campsite was on the outskirts of Port Charlotte. It was very rugged and wild. The wind was still whipping 'round and the waves crashing against the cliffs was spectacular! I was very glad to be on land.

The wind was the enemy of all the people trying in vain to pitch tents along the fence and they eventually had to give up on a view and pitch by the shelter of the playground fence.

We didn't feel like cooking and we couldn't eat outside due to the weather so we packed up Daisy and set off for the village. We could have walked but it was baltic! We decided on the Port Charlotte hotel for dinner.



Isla's ponytails horizontal due to strong winds!
A bit of a play before dinner.



Port Charlotte Hotel


Warming our tummies by the fire.
Lovely salmon and the best sticky toffee pudding I have ever had.
(and I have tried many)
We went back to camp, set up as quickly as we could and snuggled down against the wind and the cold. Lovely Daisy...what a great home on wheels!

No comments:

Post a Comment