Morning by morning, new mercies I see.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A lesson I wasn't expecting...

Today I was quickly checking my emails and felt that 'all too familiar' pang of guilt. I could, after all, check my email when Isla has her nap. I turned around in my computer chair to go and 'actively' parent and stopped dead in my tracks. The two of them were quietly playing with lego, building towers together. I watched, transfixed by the loveliness of their play. "Here Isla, you can have this one." "Say please." "Peeeeeeeze". "Good girl". "OK, now say Thank You". (Isla signed thank you). They then got involved in their own things and played separately for a while. They were having such a productive time and didn't even notice I was there. It was like being a fly on the wall...an interesting perspective. I didn't want to move or make noise in case I interrupted their play. All too quickly, it was over and Isla came up to me with blankie and binky in hand, bang on 1 o'clock for her nap. Although I know, of course, not to sit and watch their little lives go by without getting involved, it was a good reminder for me that my kids can have their own space sometimes and, in fact, need it. Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment