Morning by morning, new mercies I see.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Balcony Garden begins to bloom








We have seen the first signs of bloom from our balcony vegetable garden.
Our peas are growing quickly and Max loves to break them open and count how many are in each pod.
They taste AMAZING.

We also discovered today that our peppers have started! We have a wee green one and many of the flowers have started to look like mini peppers. No matter how often I see it, I find it amazing how things grow. As you can see from the photos, we also have carrots, blackberries, spinach and even cucumbers!

I am not quite ready for the 'good life' however, as you can see from my raspberry bush (picture at the top). Little green invaders have arrived and show no signs of leaving.

In February, I bought a copy of, The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency, by John Seymour and was inspired to start a balcony garden. It is an experiment to see how much we can grow and how we can preserve what we grow...indeed, if we will have enough left over to preserve at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment