Morning by morning, new mercies I see.

Monday, July 27, 2009

This Glorious Morning

Aldous Huxley wrote, "My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing." Although I don't agree entirely, I can certainly see where his father was coming from. Hiking the mountains of Switzerland, for me, is a very special spiritual experience but, sometimes, as I walk down towards home, what I felt absolutely sure of at the summit becomes unclear. Up there I am a part of something bigger than me. Down here I am me again: same doubts, fears and worries. Sigh.

As I looked out of the window this morning, this is the view that greeted me. Honestly, I am overwhelmed every single day by the beauty of my world. It makes my heart sing to be where the grass and trees are green and the snow capped mountains rise up and stand tall.

As I write this, the river rushes by and cow bells jangle in the distance but it is not perfect; cars rush by too and the construction next door of the flats being built can be deafening. At the moment, I choose not to hear those things...I am feasting with my eyes on beauty and I'm going to get my fill.

I have been inspired today by what others have written and so I will leave this post in the same way. A wish for us all: "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." - Edward Abbey

1 comment:

  1. I am often overwhelmed at the sights and sounds around where we live as well. Totally amazed at the blessing of living in Switzerland, the Alps, the cowbells, the fields and forests and lakes and rivers and geraniums on the lampposts, and the Älplermaggronen... :-) Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete