Morning by morning, new mercies I see.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What is in a name?



Max. Just Max. I love that name. Not Maxwell or Maximilian, just Max. It is strong and gentle at the same time. He could be anything and Max will suit him well. He has two middle names: Josef Fraser. Max Josef Fraser. I wanted desperately to hyphen Max-Josef but my hubby didn't like it. Josef is the name of our first landlord here in Switzerland. He is called 'Sepp' and so he and his wife called Max, Max-Seppi for a while. I liked that. The name will always remind me of those first few years here in this wonderful place. The cozy nights in our little apartment, looking out over the hills to the mountains. Fraser is a family name, the Scottish clan that my Father's family (Sim) belongs to.

He wasn't going to be Max. He was going to be Ewan. Max was a last minute choice...a silent favourite of mine that had been dismissed early on. We decided on it during a "9 month walk". You know, the walk you take when you are 9 months pregnant and the last thing you feel like doing is going for a walk. The walk you take because everyone tells you that it will bring on labour...that walk. He became my little Maxi-moo.

He's my first. The first child in our own little family, the first and only boy in the Sim family. Now he's the big brother and my little man. Max means "the best". He really, really is.

1 comment: